Saturday 31 December 2022

Season 1: Leading Bath to the Top: My Experience Managing in Football Manager 2022

 Introduction:

As a long-time Football Manager player, I'm always up for a challenge, especially when it comes to taking control of lower league teams and trying to lead them to the top. This year, I decided to take on the challenge of managing Bath in Football Manager 2022, and I was eager to see what we could accomplish together.

Despite being predicted to finish last in the league, I was confident in my team and my tactics, and I was determined to prove the skeptics wrong. Through careful scouting and smart signings, I put together a strong squad that was ready to take on the competition.

Key Signings:

Throughout the season, I made a number of key signings that helped to solidify our team and contribute to our success. These included Dan Bradshaw and James Gorman on free loans, and Julien Carré, Benjy Aghadiuno, and Cheikh Diaby as free transfers.

I focused on players with high levels of professionalism and determination, and with the physical prowess to excel in our system. These signings proved to be crucial to our success, as they helped to strengthen our team and boost our performance on the pitch.

First Few Games:

From the start, it was clear that my team had the talent and determination to succeed. We started the season off with a bang, winning our first few games and setting the tone for the rest of the season.

I experimented with a few different striker partnerships, ultimately settling on a formation that included a deep lying forward on support, a pressing forward on attack, and an advanced forward to take advantage of counter attack opportunities.

In possession, I instructed my team to play with a slightly higher tempo and shorter passing, and to run into space and be more disciplined. On the defensive end, we employed a high defensive line and a much higher line of engagement, using a counter press and counter attack strategy in transition.

While the system was similar to a Gegenpress, I made sure to reduce the intensity at times to give my players a break and keep them fresh, as I noticed that in Football Manager 2022 players tend to tire more easily.

Overall, our strong team chemistry and well-executed tactics led to a very successful season, with 27 wins, 7 draws, and 6 losses, earning us a total of 88 points and the championship title.

Conclusion:

My first season with Bath in Football Manager 2022 was an exciting and rewarding experience. From being predicted to finish last in the league to earning the title, it reignited my love for the game, and it was great to note that I could not simply replicate last year's tactics and needed to tweak them to the new engine.

The season laid out the foundations of all future systems for Bath - based on a high work rate, high team work, and a professional, dedicated squad that can make up any skill deficiencies through passion, heart and physic. With a talented and determined team, I'm confident that we will continue to thrive in the years to come. Tom Smith was fantastic in the season and as a "model professional" he was at the center of my mentoring strategy. I selected him as captain to elevate his position in the team, despite having poor leadership. Tom Smith will prove to be a foundation stone for the personality of Bath's future squad in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment